[TriLUG] cable modem caps locally

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Wed Oct 9 15:02:13 EDT 2002

Tom is correct, but its not a secret!  Do a little digging on the web
and you'll find out that DOCSIS cable modems tftp a configuration file
that tells it, among other things, what the upstream and downstream caps
are.  Other QoS type things that determine local priority are also there
in the configuration file.  Of course, you aren't supposed to fiddle
with these things and I advise everyone *NOT* to because you most likely
with be caught.

Just an FYI, most, if not all, DOCSIS cable modems can easily handle
10Mbps up and down without breaking a sweat.

--Reggie