[TriLUG] IDE tape problems with RH 8.0

Mike Norwood norwoodm at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 12:42:28 EDT 2002

Hello,

I loaded RH 8 and tried to move over some data with tar using an IDE tape
drive.  The system locked up, tried again, it locked up again. I then
loaded Mandrake 9.0 and could use tape fine.  I reloaded Redhat again to
see if it was just a fluke, but again the system locks up when I try to
access the tape drive.  I looked in /var/log/messages and it shows much
information dumped from the tape drive, all sorts of things about the type
of tape drive and its capacity, then it reaches a line idetape_chrdev_open
and the next entries are from the system rebooting after I had to turn the
power off and back on.  I realize most people are probably using SCSI
tapes, but this still seems like a pretty big flaw.  If anyone else has an
ide tape drive working correctly with Redhat 8.0, or has any suggestions
they would be much appreciated.

I do find I can get the drive to work by inserting ide-scsi module and
using /dev/st0 but this gives a "sense key illegal request" message after every
tape command, even though file does appear to restore correctly.  If
someone has a way to prevent this from happening that would help as well.

Thanks again, Mike Norwood