[TriLUG] OT: failed 10/100 switch?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 11 09:03:05 EDT 2002

Some switches have a special "crossover" port that is designed to connect to
an upstream switch, you might want to check to see that one of the ports in
not labled "crossover" or something like it.

The problem could also be caused by the auto-detect feature on your ethernet
card. On nearly all NIC cards you can set the port to be auto-detect, 100 meg
half or full duplex, or 10 meg half or full duplex.  Keep in mind that many
10/100 swithes have software settings (or even jumper settings) to go between
10 and 100 meg operation.  If your switch is set to 100 meg via  a
software switch and your card on your PC is set to 10 meg half or full (i.e.
NOT auto-detect) then your card will not communicate with the switch.  I'm
not sure how to check this on a Win98 machine, but under win2k it's under
properties of the card in question.

Because your other machines are working at 100 meg I'd lean towards the
software setting on your ethernet card in your Win98 machine at this point as
the suspect.

I've spent years and years dealing with layer 2 issues so if it's not a
problem with auto-detect try to ping 127.0.0.1 from the offending machine.
This should tell you if your IP stack is functioning properly.

Let me know if your card still doesn't workr checking the settings.

Greg