[TriLUG] OT: failed 10/100 switch?

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Fri Oct 11 09:40:58 EDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Andrew Perrin wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone has ideas here...
>
>I bought a cheapo 10/100 switch for home to replace my old 10MB hub. The
>switch connects two desktop machines (one Win98, one Debian) and one
>firewall/router/etc. (debian).  All have 10/100 cards in them (IBM eepros
>in the debian machines, HP something or other in the Win98) and the
>network works fine on the 10MB hub.
>
>I switched over to the 10/100 switch and communication with the Win98
>machine died.  The link LED came on, and I rebooted the Win98 machine
>(since that's how you usually fix those :)), and still nothing. Moving the
>plugs back to the hub fixed everything.
>
>Am I looking at a DOA switch, or could something else be going on?

I've noticed that the 10Mb hubs seem more forgiving of cabling problems
than the 100Mb hubs. I found I could even screw up the wire pairing in a
consistent manner and a 10Mb setup would still work, but a 100Mb setup
would fail. There could be other cable problems that cause the same
symptoms.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/