[TriLUG] Newbie Question about smbclient

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Fri Oct 11 12:07:25 EDT 2002

If this is something you want to put into /etc/fstab to be a consistant
mount use the following in your /etc/fstab:

//w2kbox/share  /mnt/linuxdirectory smbfs
credentials=/path/to/creds,uid=userid,gid=groupid,fmask=775,dmask=775 0 0

This will do a few things:

1st, create a credentials file in the users home directory that is mounting
the directory. I use the filename smbcreds. In this put the following, one
per line and chmod 700 the file:
username=w2kusername
password=w2kpassword

This is the way you can insure your credentials are NOT found by all users.

Next, the uid is the owner you want the share mounted with, the gid is the
group you want the share mounted with, fmask is the file mask permissions
you want (the example is 775(-rwxrwxr-x) ), and the dmask is the directory
mask of the directories (the example is 775(drwxrwxr-x) ). Your system can
mount your drives at boot or you can mount/umount a samba share using the
standard "mount /sharename" "umount /sharename" commands.

Hope this helps.