[TriLUG] help! Removal of RH Grub

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 12 23:49:53 EDT 2002

I tried to upgrade to RH 8.  The upgrade appeared to work (as in the machine
booted, RH 8 came up, blah) but I could not get routing, DHCP, or IP Masq to
work properly so I popped in the RH 7.1 CDs and downgraded to 7.1  This
appears to have been a mistake.

After the downgrade back to 7.1 the machine would boot and come up to a GRUB>
prompt (the help "file" was of no help when stuck at the GRUB> prompt).  I
couldn't get the machine to do dookie after that so I upgraded back to 8.0 and
tried to find a way to get rid of GRUB.  Couldn't find one.

How do I get rid of GRUB and get back to RH 7.1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (I'm DIALING in right now.. modems are
so SLOW).

Greg