[TriLUG] mail server

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 14 12:52:39 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 11:47, mark at thefowles.com wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your input -- I think I will try a couple of the
> suggestions. The university of washington imap, and then qmail using
> postfix as the transport --

Mark,

qmail, postfix, and sendmail are three examples of Mail Transport Agents
(MTAs) -- you would use one or the other, not a combination.  Sendmail
is the "de facto" MTA and is the default on most Linux distributions.
Since you're pretty new at this, I personally would NOT recommend using
a different MTA -- sendmail works just fine for basic needs.  Your
distribution should have documentation on using the mail tools that are
provided -- for example, Red Hat has excellent documentation on
configuring the default installation of sendmail on Red Hat Linux.  I
would recommend starting with your distribution's documentation --
looking at third party web pages could be even more confusing.

--Jeremy