[TriLUG] thanks, Red Hat!

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 16 09:40:39 EDT 2002

Greg Brown wrote:
> Way to fight the DMCA, Red Hat!
>
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-158.html
>
> If you haven't read Slashdot this morning this is the Red Hat article that's
> causing such a stir with the DMCA.  Look at the bottom of the page under
> References.
>
> Greg

I was rather impressed by it.  According to the associated Register
article (see the SlashDot story) the DMCA renders any details on the
content of a security patch actionable by the government, since it
spells out to hackers where the vulnerabilities are.

The amount of such description being posted every day is huge.  Despite
this travesty, I think this is a small fraction of the offront to
freedom and good sense embodied by the DMCA.

I hope similar efforts will continue, despite the lack of a sense of
humor and the inflexibility our government has shown in recent months.

                       Scott C.