[TriLUG] this is probably heresy...

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 16 13:14:46 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 11:29, Bill Vinson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:43:56AM -0400, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> > Agreed. I use both. GIMP is WAYYYY better. At LULU, I showed it to some
> > folks that were going to The "School of Communication Arts", and they
> > were impressed enough to ask how they could learn linux and get GIMP...
>
> The GIMP is obviously impressive and is a tremendous coding
> accomplishment, but in comparison to Photoshop it is not quite in the
> same class.  For simple work the GIMP is comparable in terms of the work
> it can put out, but the effort will most likely take much longer in GIMP
> as it has a VERY rough GUI in terms of work efficiency and some of it's
> tools are rudimentary in comparison to Photoshop's.
>
> Now, don't get me wrong the GIMP is great, however, I can definitely
> tell that it is more difficult to get the same work done. But you also
> must look at how long each app has been out and evolving. Photoshop has
> existed for a decent amount of time more and as such should be further
> along. Plus, Adobe has real QA and UI designers who are paid to test
> human computer interaction.  I doubt anyone is using GIMP with the same
> idea (or professional background in interface design).

Photoshop: ~US$500-700 plus updates each year or two
Gimp: $0

A similar economic event happen to me when I bought AutoCAD 95 for $500.  I
did not keep up with the update path and now I'm out in the cold.  I have to
buy a brand new copy to be up to date.

Gimp is a great alternative from a cost perspective.

I've hacked around in it enough to get some graphics edited for DocBook docs.
 I am ready to do more now.  Anybody got favorite Gimp learning sites they
can share?  I think this guy
(http://www.ntlug.org/archive/tp/gimp/node10.html) sums up what I've been
able to find by Googling on "Gimp tutorial" and "learning gimp".  His
suggestion about interpreting Photoshop techniques to Gimp fills me with a
bit of fear that I'll not be able to find the equivalent steps in Gimp,
especially since I've logged 0 (zero) hours on Photoshop.

--
mueller, mike

An engineer pretending to have useful IT skills.