[TriLUG] Installfest

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Thu Oct 17 16:04:04 EDT 2002

> it's more than good enough (although if you want to run in
> graphical mode w/  gnome or kde i'd suggest an extra 64mb ram, it will
make a noticable
> difference.  i'll bring a stick or two with me).
I do have Gnome installed, however as you correctly guessed, the GUI is
kinda sluggish. Unfortunately I have the mobo maxed out on ram (4X16MB
simms). It does have 1 DIMM slot, however it will only accept 1 low density
DIMMS, which I don't have / can't find. No biggie though, as I basically
intended to use this box to force myself to use the command line, which in
turn would force me to really learn the system.

> i can help you with the
> firewall/router part, VPN is a bit more tricky but hopefully someone with
> that particular skill will be able to assist.
Cool. Firewall and routing is my main  priority. I was thinking of using
PoPToP for VPN, since my main interest here is being able to connect from my
work Windows machine. If need be I'll figure that out after getting the rest
set up. Thanks for the offer to help.

Thanks,
Justin

BTW - If anyone needs PCI NC's, I seem to have somehow acquired a bunch of
them over the past couple of years. I probably have 5 or 6 of them, mixed
bag of  Linksys, Netgear, 3Com and Intel.
If interested, I can find out specs. They'll be going cheap. For that
matter, if you want one, whatever is paid for it I'll donate the 'proceeds'
to TriLUG.