[TriLUG] GCC and ASM

Bryan Burroughs beburrou at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 17 19:30:55 EDT 2002

Howdy,
    I am using GCC to crank out some intel assembler code on some C
programs I have written, but the output is foreign to me.  I assume it
is in a different "assembler format", as in there is MASM and TASM and
others...  Does anyone happen to know what "format" GCC uses, so I can
compare it to TASM code?  Or, even better, if there is a way to force
GCC to output Intel code, as opposed to AT&T, as it appears to be doing.
 I'm a little new to this whole assembly thing, and I want to compare
what I write with what the compiler generates for a HLL version of the
same code.  As best I can tell, Intel code is what I am used to, and I
could look past the MASM/TASM difference, but this %eax, which I know to
mean the ax register, and all of the l's after each instruction are
driving me crazy!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and if
anyone knows how to link assembly object or source code(TASM, of course)
with a C main program using GCC, I'd be very grateful if you could pass
said knowledge along to me.
    Bryan Burroughs

--
"It's a one dog town, and he's old and mean..."
	-- Garth Brooks