[TriLUG] new installfest map and directions

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 18 11:41:36 EDT 2002

Many thanks, Jeremy, I'll go over today and figure out where to make the
first turn off Hillsboro.

For those who wonder where Hillsboro St. is located, if you've ever gone to
the N.C. State Fair, and exited off  440 beltline to get there, the road
that goes directly to the fairgrounds is Hillsboro St.--- BUT (and this is
very important) YOU MUST GO IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION (EAST) AWAY FROM THE
FAIRGROUNDS!!! (I believe the NC State Fair opens tomorrow!!). You want to
go East (not West) on Hillsboro St. away from the Fairgrounds. The Raleigh
Beltline has a 440 designation and the Hillsboro St. Exit is clearly marked
coming either from the North and South. The Wade Ave. 440 exit is the one
you want off I-40 coming from Durham. But if you know a better way to
Hillsboro St. you would be wise to take it, because you will be forced to
wade through even more State Fair traffic !!! The I-440 exit sign says NORTH
RALEIGH!! otherwise you will have to take I-40 East to the 440 North exit at
Cary to get to 440 and then Hillsboro St. (actually that should be a better
choice) or circle Raleigh entirely to take the Hillsboro exit!!! ). Any
corrections would be appreciated!!

If you find this confusing, you're not alone. They've had to change the
North Raleigh exit sign on I-40 coming from Durham several times now,
because they don't seem to know that the road to 440 and Wade Ave. to North
Raleigh is NOT I-40!!! If you are lucky enough to get on the beltline and
miss your Hillsboro exit, you can either take the next turn to turn around
or take a circular tour of Raleigh on 440!! :-0  I've known folks who've
made several of these circular tours. Wouldn't be bad if we didn't have such
crazy, maniacal drivers on 440 who don't let you make your turns!!!
Traffic at the 440/Hillsboro exit will be maddening tomorrow, so be very,
very careful.---Al Johnson

If I've made any inadvertent mistakes in these directions, please give
corrections immediately. When coming down Hillsboro St. the Library is on
the Right instead of the Left (that I know for certain).