[TriLUG] unresolved symbols 2.4.20-pre11

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Sun Oct 20 03:32:01 EDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:00:18PM -0400, Joey O'Doherty wrote:
> I've been having a problem with unresolved symbols the last few days
> that's driving me crazy:  all my modules have unresolved symbols.  The

My first suspicion is header mismatch, but...

> only things that I know to do about this are to run 'make mrproper' before
> compiling and to remove /lib/modules/x.x.xx/ before issuing 'make
> modules_config'.  I've done both and still no luck.  Is there anything
> else that I need to do?

I see you're using Debian. Are you using kernel-package? If you're not,
$ apt-get install kernel-package; zless
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz

# make menuconfig && make-kpkg kernel-image && make-kpkg kernel-headers

The resulting debs are in ../

> My temporary solution to this has been to compile everything statically,
> however I do like to have sound as a module.  Here is what depmod says:
>
> $ sudo depmod -ae
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-pre11/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o
> depmod:  	kernel_flag_cacheline
> depmod: 	synchronize_irq

I always use ``depmod -ae $uname -r -F /boot/System.map-$uname -r''.
Note that's not exact syntax (it should be depmod -ae `uname -r` -F
/boot/System.map-`uname -r`, but in some instances you haven't installed
the boot image deb, etc., yet).

As a side note, I recently moved to 20-pre11, and it worked/s just fine.

-Dan

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc