[TriLUG] apache cable modem woes

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 22 15:15:00 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 15:05, r.wheaton wrote:
> i tried all kinds of different ports, like 3007, 14568, and 82, all with
> the same result (forgot to include that in my email).
>
> and i've noticed this morning that I can't connect to the box at all.
>  all connections time out whether they be telnet, ping, http, ssh, ftp,
> whatever.  a traceroute produces the following:
>
> 22  * *
> 23  * *
>
> and it's all timeouts from there...

So are you sure that you're using the correct IP address?  Are you
running the program from dyndns running that notifies it/you when your
IP changes?

Are you running a firewall on your computer?  If you've set the "high"
security level in a tool such as redhat-config-securitylevel (comes with
RHL8), you might get similar results.  (Unless you specifically allow
the ports you're trying to connect on.)

(Note: I don't know for sure if the "high" security level blocks ICMP
and traceroutes by default or not.)

--Jeremy