[TriLUG] If you can't get the latest dist. of Red Hat from NC, try Russia!!

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 23 08:48:26 EDT 2002

This is 100% true.  I had to download 8.0 (and 7.3) from ftp.xgate.co.kr and
it worked great.  I have better luck with Asian servers vs. Eastern Bloc for
some reason.  The 13 hour time difference probably comes into play in our
favor if a download is started at 3 pm US Eastern.

What I'm really curious about his how do the "official mirrors" obtain their
software and how long (i.e. how many days prior to annoucement) do the
mirrors have fully downloaded distributions and to the mirrors themselves ftp
the software or is it obtained in some other way?

Also why is ftp.redhat.com so friggin' slow while updates.redhat.com screams
like a banshee?  It seems the update server would be at least as busy as the
ftp server other than when a new distro is released (especially when up2date
says it's too busy to be bothered with non-paying customers).  Which brings
up another question - which server does up2date download from?  Obviously I'm
too lazy to break out the sniffer to find out..  Is the ftp.redhat.com server
kept at a reducted bandwidth rate to help cut down on the IPS bill by making
mirrors more attractive?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Who cares.  At least I can
download the distro from somewhere, that's what is important.

Greg