[TriLUG] NVIDIA drivers on RH8 crash the system

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 23 09:23:00 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 23:41, Jason Tower wrote:
> i downloaded the source rpms from nvidia's site, built and installed them (got
> a warning about renaming a few mesa files) and edited the xf86config file as
> directed, but X refuses to start.  in fact it crashes my entire system HARD,
> no console, no ssh, totally frozen.  reboot, rpm -e the nvidia drivers and
> restore xf86config and i can get X back, but i'd really like 3d support.
> double checked all configs and can't find any obvious mistakes.  it's a low
> end geforce2mx card that worked just fine under rh73.  any thoughts?

Understand that RHL 8 uses a new version of gcc that is not binary
compatible with previous releases.  Since the nvidia drivers are
released as binary kernel modules, they will likely not work with a
kernel compiled with the new gcc.

It looks like there is a kernel module for generic kernels however; you
may be able to use that and rebuild your kernel.  See the
"NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm" file on the Nvidia site.

--Jeremy