[TriLUG] SRPMs on RHL 8.0

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 23 14:33:05 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 14:24, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 14:22, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> > Actually, rpmbuild --rebuild should work on any distribution using rpm
> > 4.0 or greater.  The build modes of rpm were split out into a separate
> > binary in rpm 4.0 and the legacy rpm --rebuild behavior was preserved
> > via popt aliases.  These aliases have been removed as of rpm 4.1.
>
> Jeremy,
>
> What was the reasoning behind this?  I understand breaking it out
> into a separate executable, but why remove the alias?  What harm
> does it do?

I'll of course let Jeremy K. provide his own answer, but my thought is
that it allows the rpm package to not depend on a compiler and the rest
of the build tools.  This way, you can have a smaller installation that
doesn't involve all the development tools, without breaking any
dependencies.  If rpm included the --rebuild option, and therefore
depended on rpm-build, this wouldn't be possible.

--Jeremy