[TriLUG] Sound recording/editing/archiving - where to start?

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 24 02:26:32 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Portzer" <jeremyp at pobox.com>
To: "TriLUG" <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Sound recording/editing/archiving - where to start?

> On 30 Jul 2002, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
>
> > Jeremy: I think they buy pre-formatted cds especially for burning music
> > due to the equipment they are using (which is not a computer). They told
> > me that (asthese special music cds are more expensive  much as $.50 more
> > each). So they'd like to be able to store everything on a hard drive -
> > and pull off what's requested and burn to a regular cd.
>
> Hi Lisa,
>
> There's no such thing as "preformatting" a CD.  All blank CD-Rs are
> created equal (well, except for dye types and such).  The CDs marketed as
> specifically for audio use are more expensive because they include a
> licensing fee of sorts for the RIAA.

=================
"no such thing as 'preformatting' a CD ?"--Well there is such a thing if
you're creating a UDF disk. And yes, you can put music files on a UDF disk,
if you just want to play music on your computer! The UDF format is used to
pre-format a CD so that you can use it almost like it were a Zip disk!! When
you want to put one or more files on a UDF disk you just issue the save
command from the O.S. and it will be saved on the disk. You can also delete
any file later on, but unfortunately because the file is burned on the disk
you cannot recover the space!

Incidentally, I'm uncertain whether or not Linux can read this format or
not.

I have heard yes and no to this question. I do know that in MS Windows you
must use a special program in EZ CD Creator to pre-format a UDF disk and to
read it. So when creating a UDF (or packet) CD you "pre-format" the CD
before saving your files to it. Before you save any files on it you format
the entire disk! And as far as I know they can be any kind of computer file
(data, music, etc.). This can be very convenient when you need to quickly
save data to a CD. Unfortunately, you must have special system software to
read this format because it is definitely not ISO.
     I've been looking for the Linux software to read this UDF format, and
would appreciate anyone who knows what software you need to format the disk
and read it. This is because I have some data on CD's in UDF format.
---------
"these special music cds are more expensive..."---well sometimes they
aren't!! For example, recently I was in Compusa recently looking for few
inexpensive CD-RW's for a job I needed to perform. The regular el-cheapo
CD-RW's were rather expensive, but then I noticed that their AUDIO CD-RW's
were much cheaper in the same small quantity I was looking for. In fact,
they were cheaper that day than the regular CD-RW's in a large quantity!!
Remember that in our economic system prices are always fluctuating and many
times strange things happen in the way of unexpected bargains. In case you
wondered, yes, you can use Audio CD-R's and CD-RW's to store data that isn't
audio!! And there is a bit more space on the audio disks (700 vs. ca. 660
Megs).However, I haven't yet figured out how to get my burning program to
recognize that those extra bytes exist on the blank disks! ---Bon
Appetit!!--Al Johnson.