[TriLUG] Sound recording/editing/archiving - where to start?

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Thu Oct 24 21:50:44 EDT 2002

al johson wrote:
| Yep, I think we are in agreement, save one point. I do often use UDF on
| CD-R's simply because at 15 cents a copy you don't mind if you have to
throw
| it away. It's especially useful when you're in a rush. You just format the
| CD-R (or RW) and save the files you want to make portable on it. However,
| you must make sure that the computer you're going to use it on can read
| them!! So if anyone knows whether there is software available to read UDF
| disks in Linux, I'd love to hear about it.
|     On the distinction between 700 and 640 disks, I'm probably dating
myself
| but the size difference used to be the only thing that differentiated
Audio
| from Non-Audio blank CD's. Then someone had the good sense to realize that
| they could save money if they just made the 700 size. ---Hope you're doing
| well.---Al

I'm quite sure you can actually use the full length of the CDR for
audio, and not limit yourself. In fact Nero even has options for
"overburning" - if I understand it correctly, if the media has more
space you can go above and beyond the specifications of both your CDR
and the media you bought, with mixed results of course.

Regards,
Tom

- --
$Id: .sig,v 1.18 2002/10/12 20:27:23 tom Exp $

pub  1024D/87F1C20F 2001-11-15 Thomas C. Meggs <tom at plik.net>
Key fingerprint = 5E9A D535 B9DA A889 984B  9654 2025 409B 87F1 C20F
http://plik.net/tom/publickey.php

"Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not
dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry."
~        -- Sir Winston Churchill