[TriLUG] Linksys WPC11 (wireless PC Card)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 28 16:49:07 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 16:31, Robert Baker wrote:

> I added the following lines to /etc/pcmcia/config:
>
> card "Linksys Instant Wireless Network PC Card WPC11 v3"
>   manfid 0x0274, 0x1613
>   bind "orinoco_cs"
>
> Thanks again for showing me the way...
>
> I left the actual card at home so I can't test at work (no access here
> anyway).
>
> Where would I configure the card (security etc...) once RH8 recognizes it?

Don't forget to run "service pcmcia restart" (or reboot) after changing
that configuration file.

Assuming this works to recognize the card, you can configure it through
the GUI network configuration tool.  This is located under Main Menu
Button (on the Panel) =>  System Settings => Network .  You'll probably
have to add the device (ethX) to the hardware list.  For details on
using this tool, see thes URLs:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-network-config.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-network-config-wireless.html

If/when the tool sees the card as wireless, you'll see the various
options that are wireless-specific (SSID setting, etc.)

Hope this helps,
Jeremy