[TriLUG] Linksys WPC11 (wireless PC Card)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 29 13:32:03 EST 2002

I'm not sure that's actually a problem, although I would have expected
it to show up as "PrismII" instead of Lucent/Agere/Melco, but whatever.
As long as it's actually using the orinoco_cs driver, it doesn't really
matter what the config tool thinks it is.  Look at /var/log/messages and
also type "lsmod" at a shell prompt... does orinoco_cs get loaded
properly?   If you type "iwconfig" at a shell prompt, do you get a bunch
of stats about your wireless card, or an error?

Now, as far as the card timing out when activated, have you set up the
TCP/IP configuration yet?  If you leave everything at the defaults, it
will attempt to connect to a DHCP server.  Do you have a wireless
network and a DHCP server?  Is the ESSID (and WEP, if applicable)
configured correctly?

If you haven't yet set up the DHCP server or other appropriate TCP/IP
settings, the card timing out when activated is the expected behavior.

--Jeremy