[TriLUG] Interesting Lockergnome-Penguin Shell Article about Microsoft trying to stop the sale of naked PC's.

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 31 02:59:21 EST 2002

Vanilla PCs - Part Two
Scribbled by Thom Paine

"That was an interesting article by Mike Horton. Funny how he should mention
that Microsoft is trying to make it illegal to sell naked pc's. We are also
a system builder in Canada and we sell everything from parts and pieces to
naked pc's to servers with Red Hat Linux.

"Microsoft sent me a nice little pamphlet last week.

"From the original pamphlet:

What is a NAKED PC? Naked pc's are those that are sold without operating
systems preinstalled. Machines are useless until customers install system
software themselves. It's like selling a house without a roof. And, in the
end, it leaves your customers just as exposed. Your customers depend on you.
Trouble is, if you act on your customers willingness to buy Naked PC's -
knowing they may end up with pirated systems - you expose them to legal
risks, viruses, and frustrating technical difficulties. Hardly the stuff of
great business relationships, particularly when they come back to you for
help. And even if your customers manage to legally acquire and install
operating systems elsewhere, it may still cost them far more time and money
than they bargained for. No matter how you look at it, Naked PC's are bad
for your customers. Which also means they are bad for you.
"It goes on to say that they are exposing their machine and business to
viruses, and legal troubles if they buy a naked pc. I guess Windows is only
at risk to viruses if it is illegally installed and acquired. A copy of
Windows with the original CD and Certificate of Authenticity are really
immune to viruses. Funny how I'm starting to get mail like this nowadays.
"I just purchased a nice Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop today. I was madder than
a scalded chicken that I had to purchase a copy of Windows XP Home and
Microsoft Works. I told the rep that I had absolutely no use for it as
RedHat Linux was going on it the minute I got it. He was not real impressed,
nor sympathetic. I figured that by complaining they may see more of a need
for a Linux offering. But imagine the Microsoft rep telling them they can't
sell me a naked pc. I'm sure they got the same letter I did."

Recommend It!