[TriLUG] Free Sun Ultra 5 for TriLUG

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 31 14:07:17 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 13:53, Jason Tower wrote:
> not knowing the details of trilug's physical infrastructure and setup, this
> may be a foolish question: is there any particular reason for adding a
> dedicated machine to accomplish this goal vs. adding a disk to the existing
> machine with the home directories and mounting it as /backup?

There is a good reason-- we have no free drive bays in the existing
computers. The Ultra 5 is also a small form factor, and will fit nicely
in our limited space.  The "stonesoup" computer, as well as an extra
Dell workstation that we currently have, are both considerably larger
and would be difficult to fit in our half-rack.

Plus there are other good reasons to have the backup server on a
separate computer (for example, if someone does rm -rf /* , they won't
wipe the backups too).

--Jeremy