[TriLUG] that IDE problem solved!

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 1 22:54:57 EST 2002

..and was it a weird one!!

The problem was the figgin' JUMPER on the master/slave pins..  YES!!  THE
JUMPER!

The jumper was the only thing that remained the same throughout all my tests.
I chanced the CD-ROM a number of times but moved the jumper with it each time.
 I finally hit the mothball fleet of old drives and grabbed a different jumper
after changing drives, CD-ROMS, IDE cables, and everything else I could think
of, put the "new" jumper on "slave" on the CDROM and VOLIA!  It worked!

I laughed for about 30 minutes.

What a trip.

Greg