[TriLUG] Linux Lab

Lisa C. Boyd lisab at moya.trilug.org
Mon Nov 4 14:44:22 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 14:22, Jeff Bollinger wrote:
> Obviously, any Network Operating System is a "powerful tool", but I
> think this lab can be established with full Internet connectivity
> successfully.  I can do the same amount of damage from a Windows 2000
> system if I can get in without authentication.  Anonymous access is
> fundamental to useful computer labs, especially those in libraries.

I can't help you on the Linux-specific side, but you may want to
reconsider how you have people log into the machines. You can have a
machine name and password taped to the monitor so you actually have to
be sitting there to see it and log in. You could also change that
password every so often to keep it fresh.

You could also monitor people by having them sign into the lab for the
computer. That way you can track how long they spend on the machine and
which one they use. The data about how many different people use it and
how long they use it can come in very handy for administrative people
when you're talking about justifying the lab costs.

You'd also want to disable anything that would allow someone to log into
the machine from another machine. (How's that for newbie talk?) Someone
else would have to help you with specifics on that or perhaps you
already know that stuff?

Hopefully this gives you some ideas for the lab :)
Lisa B.