[TriLUG] Linux Lab

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Nov 4 16:50:20 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 13:21, Jeff Bollinger wrote:

> What are y'alls recommendations for an open-source/Linux computer lab?
> This would be a public lab, which I think we'd want an auto-login rather
> than having people with different accounts.  Of course it would have to
> be secure (the main focus), but also incredibly useful with lots of good
> open-source tools (development, web, imaging, etc.) We're thinking
> strictly RedHat, w/ X Windows running.

I don't know what your hardware setup is like, but you might take a look
at the Linux Terminal Server Project, and the related K12LTSP (a
complete distro that combines Red Hat Linux with LTSP).
http://www.ltsp.org/ and http://www.k12ltsp.org/

These allow you to set up a lab with diskless workstations and a
screamin' honkin' powerful server to run all the user processes.  (Might
not be idea for development and/or imaging work, better for word
processing / web browsing / etc.).

If you go a traditional route, installing the distro on the computers'
hard drives, you'll find that Red Hat has a nice graphical kickstart
configurator that should make automated installations a snap.

--Jeremy