[TriLUG] Linux Lab

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Mon Nov 4 17:22:54 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 13:21, Jeff Bollinger wrote:

> What are y'alls recommendations for an open-source/Linux computer lab?

Waht's the budget? What is the number of clients?

> This would be a public lab, which I think we'd want an auto-login rather
> than having people with different accounts.

If the users only use the system once, you can go with anonymous
accounts (see passwordless login in Mandrake / KDE 3 for example).

If users use the client more than once, they surely will want to get
local saved files, their preferences, their icons... Use webmin or any
other tool to provide fast user creation / passwd change thing.

> Of course it would have to
> be secure (the main focus),

Security is a process, not an application/OS/service-pack . Any system
can be as secure as the admin wants it to be.

> but also incredibly useful with lots of good
> open-source tools (development, web, imaging, etc.) We're thinking
> strictly RedHat, w/ X Windows running.

Any modern Linux distribution (RedHat 8.0, Mandrake 9.0...) will come
with everything that you wish plus more: Mozilla, Evolution, Kdevelop,
OpenOffice, The Gimp...

Get yourself a bunch of CDs, download RedHat 8.0, install it and see all
what it has to offer.

> Anyone know anyone who's succesfully done this, or where I can find some
> great info?

google.com
ltsp.org
redhat.com