[TriLUG] Linux Lab

Elliot Peele ebpeele2 at pams.ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 4 18:17:11 EST 2002

What kind of setting are you trying to do this in? (library, loby, etc.)

My suggestion if you plan to have people use the machines more than once
is to go with a authentication system like kerberos and probably nfs for
home directories depending on the scalability that you need. If its a
library make a user name based on name and use there SS# for a password.
Setup the file server to be the kerberos server as well as the kickstart
server. You also need something like current or yum to keep all of the
machines up to date. The main server could be the only machine that is
remotely managed. Depending on how you want to do account creation, have
a web page that someone could request an account, that way you could
collect information on who your users are, and have a librarian or lab
operator approve the account.

Elliot