[TriLUG] computer time travel ???

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Tue Nov 5 09:46:14 EST 2002

  I've got a machine[1] that is losing (track of?) time.  In addition
to the strangeness that incorrect stat(2) calls cause :-|, I'm also
seeing that crond is failing to run things at their normally scheduled
time.  You can see what I mean by viewing a set of graphs whose data
is gathered by a script running every five minutes.  You can view a
few graphs to "see" the problem.
  http://www.rcfile.org/~brent/ftime/_index.html
Graphs on dates prior to 26 Oct, are complete, having 288 data points
each, while most others after that date are incomplete because cron
failed to run the data collection script at the proper time.

  The problem is definitely outside of cron, since I've also seen
syslog entries where a timestamp will be _seriously_ out of sequence.

  I am _really_ lost at this point, and ask if any of you has ever
seen behavior similar to this.

thanks.

[1] mostly stock redhat-6.2-i386 with a new (2.4.19) kernel.

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman