[TriLUG] how to unshadow

Rob Huffstedtler rob at bagpipe.com
Tue Nov 5 19:28:15 EST 2002

On at least some versions of linux there is a pwunconvert command that
will unshadow passwords.  Haven't had to use it in something like four
years though, so that info may no longer be current.

ftp://ftp.xray.ncsu.edu/pub/irix/utils/pwunconv.c

compile it with -DLINUX in the gcc command line and you should be OK.

The code doesn't make any attempt to put exclusive locks on the files,
so if you are the paranoid type or your machine tends to have a lot of
users, run this code when you are in single user mode to be safe.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |	http://www.xray.ncsu.edu
TriLUG mailing list
TriLUG Organizational FAQ: