[TriLUG] OT: Mac OS X list?

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Wed Nov 6 08:31:22 EST 2002

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 04:05 AM, al johson wrote:
> software to OSX. I don't have any experiences with it, however. I
> believe
> it's called "Fink" or something like that.---AL Johnson.
> (yes, I'm a Trilug member).

In the past months I've become one of the core contributors to Fink, so
I can explain a bit -- Fink is kind of equivalent to a Linux
distribution, but it only handles things on top of the base system.
There's no libc, or kernel, or telnet package in Fink, because MacOSX
already provides those things.

The Fink project is about porting unix/linux software to run on MacOSX.
  Usually it's just a matter of fixing their configure scripts to play
well with it (only very recent versions of libtool and autoconf/etc.
work right with OSX), but sometime it takes writing new code.

We got "Project Of The Month" this month at SourceForge, that's
probably what you were referring to.
http://sourceforge.net/pom_1102.php