[TriLUG] X sessions through SSH

Henryk M. Kowalski kowalski at easternrad.com
Wed Nov 6 10:48:50 EST 2002

I'm confused about a couple of points re: secure tunneling.

Scenario 1:
I'm running X locally.
I start xterm locally and SSH to remote host.
- So far the connection should be secure, i.e. everything typed in that
xterm window is encrypted.

What happens if I start a detached terminal FROM the _original_ SSH
terminal, i.e. I run 'xterm &' _on_ the remote host with the display
automatically showing up on my _local_ X server?

I know that there is a key (.Xauthority) that's transmitted with the
original SSH session setup to allow the connection from the remote host to
the X server on my local machine, *but* is any of the communication
encrypted by SSH?

Scenario 2: (Very similar)
I'm running a plain-vanilla X session locally and I just want this local
machine to be a display (terminal) for a remote session, so I leave off
any window manager.

I have xterm up (locally), and SSH to remote, then run 'startx' or
equivalent _on the remote machine_ to get my window manager.

Am I correct in assuming that all of the traffic from this point on is NOT
encrypted?  If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks,
--Henry