[TriLUG] X sessions through SSH

Henryk M. Kowalski kowalski at easternrad.com
Wed Nov 6 11:18:12 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 10:48 AM, Henryk M. Kowalski wrote:
>
> > I'm confused about a couple of points re: secure tunneling.
> >
> > Scenario 1:
> > I'm running X locally.
> > I start xterm locally and SSH to remote host.
> > - So far the connection should be secure, i.e. everything typed in that
> > xterm window is encrypted.
> >
> > What happens if I start a detached terminal FROM the _original_ SSH
> > terminal, i.e. I run 'xterm &' _on_ the remote host with the display
> > automatically showing up on my _local_ X server?
>
> if you do an "ssh --help" you'll see that X11 connection forwarding is
> not the default with the ssh client.  If you ssh in with a "-X" it will
> enable connection forwarding.  With "-x" this explicitly states you
> don't want X11 connection forwarding.

ssh_conf is set up w/ X forwarding turned on by default on my machine...
I can happily get as many apps as I want launched on the remote w/ the
display sent back to my local machine.

This still doesn't completely answer the question.  If X forwarding is ON,
are ALL apps launched on remote machine w/ display on local machine
'encrypted'?

> > Scenario 2: (Very similar)
> > I'm running a plain-vanilla X session locally and I just want this
> > local
> > machine to be a display (terminal) for a remote session, so I leave off
> > any window manager.
> >
> > I have xterm up (locally), and SSH to remote, then run 'startx' or
> > equivalent _on the remote machine_ to get my window manager.
>
> Actually you don't want to do that (startx).  You want to run the
> startup script for your window manager.

OK, thanks for the correction. :)
So, I run startkde/gnomesession/wmaker/...
Is the kde/gnome/wmaker session encrypted?  If not, is there a way to do
it?

Thanks,
--hmk