[TriLUG] OT: Mac OS X list?

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 6 22:55:50 EST 2002

Well, there's only one reason I can think of that might mean this "gordian
knot" might be able to be cut, and that is that there is already a solution.
I've got to wonder what was going through the designers of OSX at Apple, if
it wasn't possible to somehow use all the "UNIX GUI software" (for lack of a
better description) on OSX then the advantage of being able to use UNIX  GUI
programs would obviously be severely handicapped.

    Put more simply, Don't you think they at least discussed this problem
when they were designing the OSX system??  Well, maybe they concluded that
you could just load X-windows on top of OSX. But knowing the inovator Jobs
is, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the ONLY solution. It just seems to
be a waste of code to have to use TWO GUI's running at the same time on the
same system. But I'm certainly not an expert on this, as you can tell. But
just suppose there is an easier way to go?? There are after-all lots of
Gui's you can choose from in Linux itself. ---Al Johnson.