[TriLUG] Data reporting tools

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Nov 7 10:04:30 EST 2002

What do y'all use for data reporting tools? I'm taking over an editorial
position at a sociology journal we publish here, and one of the things I
plan on doing is automating the peer- and book-review processes (using all
open source, of course).  We'll be using PostgreSQL as the backend and a
perl/cgi frontend, but there's still a fair amount of printing to be done,
e.g., to send request letters to reviewers, acceptances, rejections, etc.,
etc.

In the past I've written scripts to write data to LaTeX format, then
latex, dvips, lpr.  But LaTeX is great for some documents (e.g.,
letters) and lousy for others (e.g., tables of undetermined length, data
cards, etc.).  What other tools are available for this kind of work?

Thanks.

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu