[TriLUG] FreeS/WAN

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 7 10:25:00 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 09:33, Ben Simpson wrote:
> yes I looked at
> http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/tc/xml/01/05/07/010507tcvpnsoftware.xml
>
> they said the BSD was really nice.  but I don't have any exterience with
> FreeBSD
>
> I am trying to set up both eventually.
> but right now I would like to connect to a sonic fire wall or a windows
> 2000  vpn server.
> Then I would like to eventually have an all linux solution with two
> linux servers connecting the vpn together for site-site.
>
> Ben

Oddly enough, this is the very reason why I started playing with
OpenBSD! The learning curve was actually not that steep.  The
similarities between BSD and Linux are enough to give you a major boost
in learning it.

The way that BSD does basic system services is wonderful, and the
security of the systems (out of the box) can't be beat!

As for setting up Site-to-Site VPN's, BSD has a canned script that does
it for you! When John Turner and I did the Lulu Tech Circus VPN, we had
it up and tested in less than 6 hours work, and that included the time
to install two boxes with OpenBSD.

Still, the new LinkSys boxes with built in IPSec tunnels make it even
easier!

Good Luck - Jon