[TriLUG] backup up a laptop disk for replacement

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu Nov 7 16:32:02 EST 2002

Rodent of Unusual Size [Ken.Coar at Golux.Com] wrote:

> okey, cool.  (though i *am* using grub.)  i've never heard of
> ghost, and google is swamping me with references.  is there
> a pointer or a product name or something?

The product of which they speak is Symantec Ghost.  Another alternative
for you might be Ghost for Unix:
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

I've not tried it myself, so if you do, please share!

Grr, of course, as I read down the page, they don't have PCMCIA support,
so it might not work for your laptop.  If you have a desktop, though,
you could get a 2.5" <-> 3.5" IDE adapter and dd from the laptop onto a
drive there as an image, and then swap in the replacement drive.

Mike
--
"Would you like to take advantage of wiretap Wednesdays?"
     -- Fed on Sealab 2021