[TriLUG] RH Updates

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Nov 7 22:02:15 EST 2002

I'd like to make it clear I'm not speaking for my employer at the
moment. I'd say the same thing even if I didn't work there, and, quite
honestly, have said these same sorts of things prior to my current
employment. YMMV, and all that.

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:35:03PM -0500, Jon Carnes spoke thusly:
> And as long as we are showing our dirty underwear lets mention the SSH
> vulnerability where Red Hat only provided RPMS for the 7.x series and
> left all us folks still using the 6.x series to swim on our own.  I had
> to update 22 boxes by hand (using the source).

That's because RHL didn't ship with openssh in 6.x due to patent
issues. Red Hat doesn't issue erratta for packages they don't
ship in a distro. Since 7.x was the first Red Hat series that could
legally ship openssh, it's the only one that had openssh, and so it
got fixed.

Now, if you installed openssh on your own, I think you're on the hook
to fix it. Until I pull my last 6.x box out of service, I know I am.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --