[TriLUG] OT: Local Sun Equipment Liquidators

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Tue Nov 12 15:33:48 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 02:55:54PM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 14:40, Mike Broome wrote:
> > Both Jamie and Chris sent out e-mails that were MIME
> > multipart/alternative.  Jamie had a text/plain section (0.5K) and a
> > text/html section (1.8K).  Chris had a text/plain section (0.6K) and a
> > text/enriched section (0.8K).  The text/enriched has fewer tags and
> > formatting options that HTML so it tends to cause a little less bloat.
>
> While still more than doubling the size of the message, though.

Yep. :(

> > While I personally would prefer just text/plain, I appreciate both of
> > them (or their mail clients) sending multipart/alternative so my mailer
> > can display the text/plain section per my configuration.  I actually
> > didn't notice the HTML or enriched sections until Chris and Tanner
> > pointed them out. :)
>
> Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to tell evolution
> to always display the text/plain version when given the choice.
> It always defaults to the other one.  Mozilla and Netscape also
> used to do this when I used them.  Does anyone know how to
> configure this (short of editing the source and recompiling)?

I don't know anything about configuring Evolution since I've never run
it, but google coughed up this link to an e-mail on the evolution list

  http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2002-October/021969.html

which is from the beginning of October and unfortunately says that you
can't tell Evolution to prefer a particular multipart/alternative
section over another.  (Although it sounds like it is hard-coded to
prefer text/html or text/enriched over text/plain.)

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org