[TriLUG] remote printing - I can't get it to work

Greg Kuhn thetruthisoutthere at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 02:47:39 EST 2002

My name is Greg and I am a linux newbie/junky. Now on to my problem. For the
last few months I have been attempting to setup remote printing for my home
network, and falling on my face at every turn. My setup: Red Hat 7.3, running
as a server, two nics, one for the cable modem the other for the internal
network. eth0 is 24.xxx.xxx.xxx, eth1 is 192.168.0.1. I followed the printing
howto and added the ip addresses of the workstations that I want to print from
to hosts.lpd. The printer is setup on the server as queue:optra on /dev/lp0,
printer works just fine from the server. I then created the printer on the
workstations, queue is optra, connected to 192.168.0.1, i hope that is
right.The workstations are also running RH7.3. restarted lpd on all machines
and no print. My winblows machines print fine using samba. The printer: Optra
E312 connected to the server via the parallel port for now, will eventually
connect it via the USB port. I am losing my mind on this one, I have searched
high and low. If any more info is needed let me know and will provide what I
know. Thanks in advance.