[TriLUG] NFS woes

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed Nov 13 11:45:55 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 10:52, Jason Tower wrote:
> the redhat press book says that message occurs when client attempts to contact
> the server timeout.

Yes, it looks like that kind of problem.

> it suggests that the root problem is usually network related.

Mmmmm

> my hunch is that it may be a ethernet issue, incorrect speed and/or
> duplex settings.

I had been using that NFS client for a few months now. It looks OK. I
had been working OK for a while.

> are you using 3Com nics?

Let me see:

00:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
(rev 78)

> they have frequently caused me
> grief by having weird/difficult to troubleshoot problems.

And I always have liked 3Com

> furthermore, i had
> problems with NFS on RH73 like frequent timeouts,

RH 7.3 acting as a client or as a server?

I have RHL 7.3 on the client *and* on the server.

IIRC, it was yesterday when I began to notice having trouble with my
Evolution-through-ssh-tunnel-using-NFS-exported-home-for-local-imap-mail

I know, it can be done easier but it won't be fun otherwise.

> very slow start/stop times
> (like ten minutes to execute 'service nfs start') and so on.

service nfs restart takes about 2 seconds. NFS at the server seems to
work fine. The problems shows up at the client (also a RHL 7.3)

> RH72 and RH80
> have been flawless with NFS though.  maybe try the latest RPM package?

I'll try. Thank you.

> jason

Salut,
Sinner