[TriLUG] comments on Mandrake and Red Hat stability

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Thu Nov 14 21:58:43 EST 2002

On Thursday 14 November 2002 09:3221pm, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 09:31 PM, Sinner from the Prairy
> wrote:
> > We have set up both at work. Both are smoking fast Linux distros.

> Be careful, those boxes you're running on are smoking (are these the
> dual athlon boxes?).  They could even make Windows seem fast.  But

Yes, they are the dual athlons. Specifically the *new* dual athlons.
Anyway, they are "nascar going downhill" fast, compared to the expected
"I-40 at night" fast.

> something more interesting is further down:
> > gcc-3.2 rulez :) And KDE 3 is faster. Specialy at home, using my
> > K6-II-400. KDE 3 compares very favorable with KDE-2.2.2 compiled
> > with objprelink.

> Ahhh now if it seems fast on a K6-II-400 then I find that to be more
> of a credit to the distro than the hardware.  :-)

That's my point. If they flyon an athlon and my K6-II goes very agile
with a KDE with lots of "unnecesary features" like hi-colour icons,
transparencies, heavy themes, wallpapers, animations, and
name-your-cpu-sucker-feature-here .... And, of course, heavy desktop
usage, xmms, galeon, kmail, cd-burning, gaim...  One thing though:
OpenOffice still takes forever to start.

> Chris Hedemark (temporarily stuck at home)

Broken car?

> Hillsborough, NC
> http://yonderway.com

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.0 -    Linux Machine # 38068