[TriLUG] video and dvd buring on Linux?

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sat Nov 16 21:50:58 EST 2002

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 06:03:38PM -0500, Greg Brown spoke thusly:
> Question for ya'all: is anyone doing video editing and DVD burning with
> any distro of Linux?  I'm getting to where I'm going to have to start

At the moment, I'm playing with doing video conversion and buring
under Linux on Red Hat Linux 8.0 with the latest (not included)
releases of transcode, mjpegtools, dvd+rw-tools, and a Sony DRU-500A.

First up, the DRU-500A rocks. it's a DVD+RW/-RW/+R/-R/CD-RW, and RHL 8
just picked it up like it was nothing. You'll need tomake sure it's an
IDE-SCSI device, but that's normal for any CD/DVD Writer.

So far I've burned CDs and VCDs with it. I've not done anything with
the DVD burning yest since the media is expensive, and it comes with
one +RW disk. That and I'm learning the transcode/mjpegtools
conversion stuff at the same time. And there *IS* a learning
curve. not that steep, just...different.

Now, on to the next bit:

> Should I just save $$ until I can get a iMac with a DVD burner (the
> mega Mac is out of the question at this time) or do it the Linux way?

I'll be honest - the Mac and Windows tools are *MUCH* further along
than the Linux tools. The Macs get great reviews. The Linux tools
require some learning - mostly because it's still command line for the
most part.

All that being said, I'll be doing it the Linux way, but I'm a
code-monkey at heart. Once I get it where I want it, I'll probably
script most of it. Still not as easy as a Mac, but do-able.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --