[TriLUG] video and dvd buring on Linux?

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Sun Nov 17 10:06:39 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Greg Brown wrote:

>Question for ya'all: is anyone doing video editing and DVD burning with
>any distro of Linux?  I'm getting to where I'm going to have to start
>putting some old vids on DVD and the easiest choice seems to be a Mac
>with the DVD writer drive but I'm wondering about Linux options.   I
>like what I've seen on-line as far as Film Gimp goes, but  I'm at a
>total loss when it comes to DVD burning on Linux.
>
>Should I just save $$ until I can get a iMac with a DVD burner (the
>mega Mac is out of the question at this time) or do it the Linux way?

I find that video editing with Cinelerra works generally well, but it
isn't without bugs. I used its ancestor, Broadcast 2000, to make an MST3K
style video
(http://home.hiwaay.net/~jeffj1/riffs/consuming_women_riff150k.rm) using
chromakey and a couple plugins of my own. It may take some time to figure
these programs out, but I bet they can do a lot more than iMovie and I
know they cost a lot less than Final Cut Pro.

As for writting DVD's, there is cdrecord-ProDVD
(ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/ProDVD/). I've never used it
because I'm not sure it'll write the data such that a DVD player will play
back the video.

I haven't seen any programs for authoring video style DVD's with Linux,
although some guy emailed me to say he had made such a program. But he
said that it didn't support making menus, chapters, or even allowing seeks
forward or backward through the video. I'm still waiting until all of that
is supported under Linux and use some cheap Windows software for now.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/