[TriLUG] Perl modules and RPMs

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Nov 17 20:48:45 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 14:44, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 12:04, Mike Broome wrote:
> > Ideally, these modules should be known and managed by rpm.  Is there a
> > straightforward way to do that?  Do I need to hand-roll a spec file for
> > each one?  Or is there some standard way to create an rpm from a CPAN
> > module then install it?
>
> If you want to do them with rpm, there is a utility called
> cpan2rpm that will download the module and create an rpm
> of it that you can then install.  You can find a copy of it at:
>
> http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/rpms/wtl/noarch/cpan2rpm-1.50-5wtl.noarch.rpm
>
> That was compiled under Mandrake, but for Redhat, you can just
> compile the src.rpm yourself.  Find it at:
>
> http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/rpms/wtl/SRPMS/cpan2rpm-1.50-5wtl.src.rpm

Tanner,

Have you tested the above under RHL 8, or specifically a Perl
installation with the latest version of MakeMaker?  It seems that new
versions of MakeMaker change some of the semantics of variable
substitution in the Makefiles -- certain variables are now substituted
by MakeMaker itself, instead of allowing make itself to do it.  The
result is that some of the variables don't get RPM_BUILD_ROOT inserted,
breaking the RPM build process.

I tried to hunt down this particular bug, but got bogged down in the
immense number of install location variables.  I e-mailed the cpan2rpm
author, who said he's not really maintaining it anymore.  Maybe I should
work harder on fixing this, or have you already done so in that version
above?

--Jeremy