Possible SPAM: [TriLUG] video and dvd buring on Linux?

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 18 22:15:48 EST 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:13:22PM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 20:22, Bill Vinson wrote:

[ all of my rant skipped ]

> Bill,
>
> I'm not sure I want to support a company that wields such a large
> stick as the DMCA in this way.  What's to say they don't modify
> iDVD to have even more draconian measures?

This was not at all Draconian, but that is up to you to decide for
yourself.

> As far as licensing is concerned, I'm sure there are many people
> who would just as soon support a free operating system than
> give money to a non-free one.  Presumably that's why everyone
> is here.  After all, this is the Triangle *Linux* Users Group,
> and not HardCider. :-)
>
> So, I would say that Michael had a very valid point.  People
> should take everything they can into account before purchasing
> any new computer.
>
> Tanner

Agreed, but free isn't always best.  Linux doesn't currently in even the
same ballpark in terms of multimedia production for the consumer and
amateur/pro video/dvd enthusiast. Notice I said currently as I fully
expect Linux to improve (although, I doubt it will reach the support
level of a company like Apple).  However, I expect that you should spend
your money on the best tool for you and that is why I posted the
explanation as I believe that if we let someone make a choice on less
than all the facts we do them a disservice.  Does Linux currently deal
with DVD burning as well as the Mac?  No.  Will it in the future?
Certainly possible.  Should someone build a system that may not do
everything they need?  Well, that is up to them, but I for one would
like to make sure they know the whole story.

I personally try to choose the best tool for the job (Sometimes
financial constraints prevent that from being fully realized). I do not
believe that locking myself down to Linux or *BSD is a good idea when in
some cases a Mac may be a better choice. Let the buyer make up their own
mind.  I don't think he will make a bad choice using Linux or Mac OS X at
all...

Bill