[TriLUG] Kernel Compilation / Configuring Class

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 14:10:09 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 14:13, Brian Weaver wrote:
> I've got a question related to the kernel compilation / configuration
> class. I've started looking at trying to build a linux system from
> scratch. I've built the kernel many times, but I've never really been
> happy with the current "interface" to set the kernel options.
>
> One either has to use 'make config' or 'make xconfig' which gets either
> a terminal prompt for options, or an X interface using TK (I think).

make menuconfig is a nice middle ground.

> Does anyone know of any good "web" interfaces? I'd like one that listed
> the options and included the readable help right inline with the ability
> to select or deselect the option. Then when you finish just download the
> config to a file.

The kernel moves fast. Keeping something like this updated would require
a significant amount of effort. It would be kind of nifty though.

> I'm not trying to start a big bru-ha-ha, but I'd love to be able to have
> hyperlinks to the often referenced documentation that the "help" for
> individual kernel options always cite. Assuming that such a site doesn't
> exists I'm actually interested in potentially building this. It might be
> nice to be able to expand the help, cross reference, and even save
> configuration remotely. Any thought?

Go for it. :)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot