[TriLUG] desktop wireless NIC

Scott Stancil sstancil at geekrooms.com
Wed Nov 20 01:23:52 EST 2002

> question for all you wireless folks out there: if you needed to set up a
>  desktop PC with a wireless connection, would you use a PCI card or USB
> adapter?  any particular make/model?  thanks in advance -

You should check out compatability issues at:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=16
http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/

I recently picked up a Linksys USB unit, although I haven't tried it under
Linux yet.  I get better range than any Orinoco/Lucent product due to the
excellent flip-top antenna.

If you go Orinoco, just a quick note on the host adapter.  I think you
need PCI 2.2 to use the PCI host adapter.  These adapters have worked well
in my desktops under Linux, but again, the range isn't as good.

Good night.

--
Scott Stancil
sstancil at geekrooms.com