[TriLUG] desktop wireless NIC

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 20 09:27:48 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 08:19, H Brett Bolen wrote:

> John Franklin wrote:
>

> >On Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002, at 00:56 US/Eastern, Jason Tower wrote:
> >
> >> question for all you wireless folks out there: if you needed to set up a
> >> desktop PC with a wireless connection, would you use a PCI card or USB
> >> adapter?  any particular make/model?  thanks in advance -
> >

> >Without knowing anything about the quirks of either solution, I would
> >lean towards a PCI card for three reasons:
>

> I lean the other way.  The reason is that my pc is under the desk and
> there are couple thousands cables behind there.  I figure that I can
> move the antenna around with the usb adaptor to get better reception
> if I need to.

Many PCI wireless cards come with an external antenna and some length of
lead wire -- the cheapest ones don't, so always check for that.

> do they require wall warts?

Referring to USB wireless cards -- all the ones I've seen take their
power from the USB, so no power adapters are used.  The Linksys WUSB11
also comes with a wall mount which is pretty handy.

The wireless bridge thingy that Chris mentioned looks pretty neat too --
what is the difference between that and an access point?  Just how it's
configured?   (The Linksys WET11 does use a wall wart, by the way.)

--Jeremy