[TriLUG] A question about LINUX FORMAT magazine

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 21 17:19:50 EST 2002

As most of you are aware, one of the finest Linux publications is a magazine
called LINUX FORMAT which is published in Great Britain. One of the best
features of this magazine is the disk (DVD) or disks (two CD's), which come
with it. The DVD version usually has every new distribution not long after
it comes out.
Now it is possible to purchase this magazine locally at Borders (CD version
only) and Barnes & Noble (DVD [if you're lucky and someone hasn't swiped the
disk(s) from your copy] and CD versions). The DVD version costs only $1.00
more and naturally has a lot more Linux software on it. Both Borders and
Barnes and Noble stores in Cary usually have a few copies of this magazine
but if you don't check these stores regularly (and even if you do), you can
sometimes miss an issue. I've tried to get employees at both stores to
reserve a copy for me, but this has been a hit and miss proposal at best. So
I'm considering subscribing to it. My question is simply this:

I'm especially interested in subscribing to the DVD version, but in the past
getting things mailed reliably from overseas has also been an iffy
proposition at best.

Incidentally, Linux Format magazine is a magazine Linux users from newbies
to pro's will enjoy and can use, as there are excellent tutorials in it.

Another problem is the exchange rate. The magazine says you can subscribe in
North America, but it gives the cost in Pounds!!, but the exchange rate
between Dollars and Pounds, as you know, changes daily!! So how do you know
how much money to send them?? Credit cards can be used, but I'm not thrilled
about giving my credit card number to an overseas company.--Al Johnson.